Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Amazing art in a beautiful creekside setting...

This summer, I attended an event at the home of a well-known and very talented local artist and sculptor, John Mortensen. His historic home was also on the Tour of Homes recently. He maintains his studio adjacent to his home in the little town of Wilson near the base of Teton Pass. The ranch where I'm working has a number of his pieces, including furniture and bronze sculptures. They're beautiful. His charming home is a simple, historic farm house with red metal roof, pine floors and a historic plaque near the front door, and he keeps his two horses in a small corral in the yard.



When I arrived, the cottonwood trees were dropping their fluffy seeds, and it was so thick in the air that it looked like it was snowing. I had never seem anything like it, and the "seeds" accumulated in crevices and on trees and table tops, adding to the magical setting and atmosphere. It was a warm, sunny evening. The home and studio/gallery are located right on the bank of Fish Creek which is more like a rushing river as it passes by the house.














I'm not sure if it was the Tetons backdrop, the creek rushing by, the bronze sculptures in the yard or the abundance of flowers, but the setting was gorgeous.




Various wildlife sculptures John has created through the years were tucked into niches in the yard, and everything around them was lush and green. Fish Creek rushed by, just feet from the house.


Don't blink,or you'll miss the bronze statue tucked in behind the flowers.













The cozy home was more like a museum, a vast array of unique keepsakes, artwork and collectibles... the treasures of John and his recently deceased wife Pam's life together. They also collected Indian artifacts and rugs on their many trips to Santa Fe. What a slice of Americana and the old West. I imagined that every piece had a story behind it.




My favorite thing in the house (above) and a cozy creek side gazebo below...





Above, John's studio where he holds his artist's receptions with wine & hors d'oeuvres on Thursday evenings. Ranch guests love to attend. I love the antler chandelier (above) ....


A work in progress in the living room... soon to be bronzed! John has created over 200 bronze pieces since he began as a sculptor in the early 1970s, and they are in many corporate and private collections. I'd love to have one!

A few weeks after this event, John was at the ranch where I work, and I had the pleasure of joining him on a leisurely horseback ride with a guest and wrangler. I asked him about the upcoming bronzing process regarding the clay bronco above, and he explained it to me. He probably looks more like a real cowboy than anyone I've met in Wyoming (think mature Marlboro man). Tall with thick white hair, well-worn chaps, big wide grin... a very imposing figure and super nice man. I also had the pleasure of a quick dance with him at the Wort Hotel bar when a group of us ranch folks ended up there after the fashion show I was in...



If you'd like to see his work, here's the link to his website. It's always nice to meet interesting, talented locals while I'm here in Wyoming!

http://www.mortensenstudios.com/