Friday, September 9, 2016

Western Design Conference and Fashion Show

It's official... I've gone from ranch worker to "fashion model". ha-ha. Last night was the kickoff of the 24th annual Western Design Conference, a 4 day event held at the Snow King Center in Jackson. It featured over 130 artists selling jewelry, clothing, furs, silver, turquoise, boots, furniture, artwork and more. It's all high end stuff... no junk or tacky souvenirs.


 


 

                              Above, custom spurs with 272 inlaid pieces of silver!


                Above, the River Crossing booth... one of the designers I modeled for.

                                                          A cool Winchester cabinet

They also built a 6 room "home" inside the venue, created and decorated by designers showcasing their work. There was a kitchen, office, bedroom and more. Beautiful! Everything at the event was for sale. There was also catered food and 5 bars. The evening began with a VIP preview event ($125), followed by a live auction, Western inspired couture fashion show and after-party ($50). I was a model in the fashion show, and it was a blast! Earlier in the week, we had fittings with the designers and a 5 hour rehearsal. For our participation, we got to attend the preview evening for free and also got a ticket for a friend.

                 There were photo releases to be signed and poses to be learned...
 
Some of the guys I modeled with, along with the designer on my right. That's a bison coat on the tall guy ... check out designer Mike's celebrity costumes/outfits, most recently one for the movie Hateful 8: http://www.michaeljgulidesigns.com/celebrity-clothing/

                                         Backstage the day before the event....

                                   The fashion show's music/lighting guy and announcer

For each of the 22 designers' "walks", there were walk sheets created and learned by the models for the ones we were participating in. I had four. One was a couples walk with 6 models. Another involved just walking straight out, hitting the center and two corners of the runway and turning around, and another involved a sort of traffic pattern and crossing on the runway. I have a new respect for fashion models. It can get confusing. Not to mention that there are quick clothing changes between walks! Chaos back stage during the show...


An hour or two before show time, I had my hair and makeup done. They went for curls.
 


The 22 walks, with the music, designer and models written down.

After the Live Auction, it was show time and the house was packed with the swells of Jackson in full Western regalia. Some of my ranch co-workers attended for moral support and to take photos ;)


Walk #4 (of 22) was my first, and I wore accessories by Dr. C's Designs, including a belt and bolo tie. I was instructed to wear jeans, a simple black top and boots (mine) so as not to distract from the accessories. My runway partner was a tall, confident Aussie, and our music was the Willy Nelson song "If you've got the money..."




 At the end, the models line up at the rear of the runway and the designer is introduced.

My next outfit )$1,200!) was totally Western, a long leather skirt, vest, gloves with fringe and $750 cowboy hat by River Crossing! I walked the runway alone on this one to the tune "How the West was Won", and was followed by 5 handsome male models. I was encouraged to shake my fringe...









 

 


         
                       Backstage with the designer and models at the dress rehearsal...


My third walk was modeling a custom leather skull belt by Slickbald Customs... price tag $3,500! Dress rehearsal and fitting with the designer...


And on the runway with the blank "model stare". ha-ha Music: "Don't Fence Me In":









                                                        And off stage we go!

                      My co-worker actually videoed this one. Ignore their drunken cat calls...


My last walk, for young, female designer Jesse Smith from Colorado, had me modeling a cute gingham dress by Westerngrace. Jesse requested a side braid and sassy walk. Her mother was there to help dress the models. Lots of fun!



                                                            Back stage....


 Not the most flattering camera angle....




What a great experience. I've modeled in 4-5 small, local fashion shows back home, but this was the real deal with lights, music, sound board, runway, hair and makeup, production manager/director, Laura Fambro Cook from Cody, WY, expensive clothing and accessories and big time designers!


After the big finale where we walked back out with the designers (video above), we were encouraged to enjoy the after party. My co-workers and I took advantage of the open bar (champagne for me!) and then friends, models and designers headed over to the historic Wort Hotel bar for live music and dancing, and then a quick stop at the famous Million Dollar Cowboy Bar before returning to the ranch.



No comments:

Post a Comment