Thursday, May 19, 2016

Heading West....

The first two days of my drive were pretty uneventful. I departed from Chattanooga, passing through Nashville and took a wrong turn in KY. I ended up detouring through a little town called Owensboro, KY and then passing through Indiana, Illinois and St. Louis, Missouri before landing in Columbus, MO for my first night. There was a cool bridge on the west side of St. Louis and another the next morning in Kansas City.


On day 2, I passed through Kansas briefly, then north through Iowa, and finally west across Nebraska, staying in N. Platte for the night. Nebraska was pretty, with miles and miles of farms, green pastures, cattle and silos, and a museum of some sort about every 20 miles... Pioneer, Plains, Prairie, Heartland, Lewis and Clark... anything to do with the push West. Apparently, Kearney, NE is the Sandhill Crane capital of the world. Who knew?
I wish I could have stopped at all of them! I had to settle for a little tourist museum/gift shop next to my hotel. It was called the Fort Cody Trading Post and had all sorts of interesting artifacts and knick knacks. There were displays with original costumes from Bill Cody's Wild West Show, old weapons, bison skin coats, Indian artifacts, and countless other museum-type items. The store also had fabulous gifts, and I bought a Nebraska Christmas ornament. Overall, not a bad day. Tomorrow, I have a ten hour drive across Wyoming and over the Tetons to Jackson, WY where I check in at the ranch for my new job! Can't wait ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment