Monday, June 13, 2016

Bike ride to Wilson and a fun dinner with a new friend

I was off today, and guests were busy at the corral this morning for riding skills evaluations and getting matched up with their horses for the week. I signed up for the 2pm ride. After yet another hearty bacon, egg and potatoes breakfast, I decided to get some exercise despite the drizzly weather and chill in the air. I took off on my mountain bike for Wilson, 10 miles south on the bike path. Wild flowers are everywhere, as well as wildlife awareness signs.








I love the mountains in the background in this shot (right) . I see lots of purple, white and yellow wildflowers but rarely red ones!


Pathways, the non-profit that maintains the trails, takes their paths seriously. They are smoothly paved with great signage, occasional benches, restrooms, water fountains and even turnouts for wildlife viewing. A real pleasure to ride on!


The little town of Wilson was pioneered in 1889 by Elijah Nicolas Wilson, known for having lived with the Shoshone Indian tribe as a boy in the 1850s. He later wrote a book about his experiences, including his time as a rider for the Pony Express. The town was later named in his honor. It sits at the base of Teton Pass, the road over the Teton mountains that leads west to Idaho. There's not much there, but the old schoolhouse/community center, general store and a few quaint eateries are popular with locals and tourists.





Apparently, in 1954 when the General Store opened, the population of Wilson was 35 people. It has now "swelled" to about 1,500.

I'm decked out in my lightweight, knee length duck hunting rain coat/wind breaker. Not fashionable but it kept me dry and warm today, especially the hood.... thanks Dad! ;)
The most popular stop in Wilson, since 1942, is the famous Stagecoach Bar and Grill. They have a drive-thru liquor store and on Sunday nights, the rustic, hole in the wall bar is a locals hangout with great live country music (5 member band) and yes, dancing! From 6-10pm, it is referred to as "Sunday Church", and I plan to go soon. They also have draft beer, pool and darts. My kind of place...

I rode back to the ranch, had lunch, headed to the corral for my first horseback ride, and it began to pour... thunder, lightening and even hail! It looks like I'll be riding tomorrow instead ;(

This evening, I skipped the buffet dinner at the ranch and instead had dinner at the home of a local attorney/Wyoming wine distributor. I was introduced to him by an old friend from Georgetown and couldn't wait to meet him. His wife was out, but I'll meet her soon. They're in their 70s. He cooked burgers and briefed me for an event next week where he has graciously recruited me to pour wine with him. The Jackson Wine Auction is a 3 day fundraiser for the 6 week, Grand Teton Music Festival taking place this summer. (http://gtmf.org/about/) The wine auction weekend includes the Taste of Jackson Hole food and wine event, halfway up the mountain at Couloir, and is only accessible by gondola. Tickets are $150, so I was fortunate to be invited to pour at the event and then attend for free. The next night, there will be dinners in private homes, with well-known chefs cooking. Tix: $1,000. Then on Saturday, there is the wine auction and gala, tix $750, the highlight of the weekend. Check out the website:  http://jhwineauction.com/events/

So tonight, we talked about wine, his winemaker friend from Calistoga, CA whose wine we'll be pouring, our extensive world travels and adventures... and life, while sipping a very nice Bordeaux.

 

I headed home at 9pm. It was 48 degrees, and the sun was just setting. I was treated to these incredible views. I'm still pinching myself at times because I can't believe I'm really here, meeting amazing new people, hiking, biking and horseback riding through spectacular scenery, getting paid to live and work on a ranch, including room and board (my own cabin and 3 sumptuous meals a day!) I've hit life's lottery ...







No comments:

Post a Comment