Friday, June 24, 2016

Jackson Hole Wine Auction

Every year in June, the Jackson Hole Wine Auction is held to raise money for the Grand Teton Music Festival, an event held in July/August. The three day wine event kicks off with Taste of Jackson Hole on a Thursday night, a celebration of wine, cuisine and music. A limited number of guests enjoy early VIP tastings at Piste Mountain Bistro for an hour, and then from 6-10 pm, 500 guests take the gondola up Rendezvous Mountain to Rendezvous Lodge to enjoy chefs' creations and beverages from 25 vintners and/or distilleries. A very cool Wyoming wine distributor invited me to pour at his table this year. I had planned to buy a $150 event ticket, but this was much more fun and a great way to meet people, eat and drink for free AND get paid! ;)

I picked up my winery badge and boarded an 8 person gondola car. It took about 10 minutes to climb 9,095 feet, almost to the mountain's summit at 10,450 feet. The aerial tram I rode last week goes all the way to the top.




Food and cases of wine were still being loaded when I got on the gondola at 4:30. Chefs and wineries were setting up their stations with the mountains and valley below as a spectacular backdrop.
I poured for Kenefick Ranch Vineyards in Calistoga, CA. They don't have a winery, only a tasting room in Calistoga and actually sell about 90% of their sought-after grapes to bigger wineries like Camus. The 10% they retain are made into limited quantities of 6 hand-crafted, estate grown wines, 4 reds and 2 whites. The family-owned vineyard is located across the street from the upscale Solage Resort and Spa in Calistoga. Check out the website for the vineyard and pick up a bottle... if you can get your hands on one: http://www.kenefickranch.com/

We poured Kenefick's Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Sauvignon Blanc. I'm not much of a wine drinker unless I'm eating a nice meal, but I Iearned a lot and was really able to taste and describe the subtle flavors and differences in the wines. I also had to know the composition of each of the varietals we poured. Kenefick wines have a fairly high alcohol content and have a big following here in Jackson. People flocked to our table. Many said it was their favorite wine of the night and that other guests had recommended they stop by for a taste. It was nice to be associated with such a quality product. The Sauvignon Blanc was the most popular. Our table was outside so it got a little windy and chilly by 10PM but only got dark around 9:30 pm when the sun disappeared behind the Tetons. Not too bad, and I had plenty of time to walk around and enjoy all the food and wine!



Thirteen of Jackson's finest chefs and restaurants offered "bites" and the offerings were a delicious array of lamb, bison, seafood, desserts, coffee and more. I recall seeing "lamb heart" on one menu sign. As usual, I was pinching myself when I looked at my surroundings and the amazing views and venue. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect evening and thoroughly enjoyed myself.





  




The party was in full swing pretty quickly, and guests included locals and out of towners alike. There were complimentary CDs from last year's Teton Music Festival, and I was even given two bottles of nice wine on my way out! I somehow managed to have a gondola car all to myself as I headed down the mountain at 10pm. It was almost silent except for the creaking of the gondola cable. The car swung lightly in the breeze and it was pitch black outside as I descended. The stars were really bright, and the Teton Village lights twinkled below. It was a little eerie but also sort of magical. A nice end to the evening....


The rest of the weekend includes signature dinners in private homes on Friday ($1,000/person) and the actual tented outdoor gala and wine auction on Saturday night ($750). A little rich for my ranch salary ;)

1 comment:

  1. What an experience! I have spent years sampling the vineyards of Canada, though I think I may need to add this to my list. My wife and I love sampling the reds the most, but I would be interested in trying Jackson's whites--those sound pleasant as well. I really enjoy a sip of wine with a terrific meal and view!

    Wilbert Bowers @ Mirr Ranch Group

    ReplyDelete