Saturday, June 4, 2016

Biked 6, hiked 7... a Phelps Lake excursion in the park.


It's my day off! I rode my bike into Grand Teton National park (6 miles round trip), stopping first at the Laurence S. Rockefeller Preserve. I stashed my bike and went inside to explore for a few minutes before starting my hike.


The Laurance S. Rockefeller Preserve is an 1106-acre refuge within Grand Teton National Park. The site, near the south end of Phelps Lake, was originally a dude ranch known as the JY Ranch. In 1932 John D. Rockefeller, Jr. purchased the 3100-acre ranch and turned it into a family retreat. Over the years the family gave most of the ranch to the national park. In 2001 Laurance S. Rockefeller donated the final 1106-acre parcel, which would become the Preserve. The guiding document establishing the Preserve states that it "will become a place of physical and spiritual renewal, and to serve as a model for achieving balance between preservation of natural values and public use and to demonstrate that our citizens working in partnership with their government can achieve important goals. The Laurance S. Rockefeller Preserve is intended to inspire appreciation and reverence for the beauty and diversity of the natural work, to demonstrate the importance of protecting the land while providing public access and to foster individual responsibility for conservation stewardship."













Then I took off on my hike. I had originally planned to just hike TO Phelps lake, 3 miles round trip. Once I got there, I decided to hike around the perimeter, an additional 4 miles. What the heck... I had my bear spray in hand with the safety removed and my finger in the loop, just a quick thumb press away from stopping a raging, 300 pound charging bear.... allegedly ;)

 Signage was easy to follow and the Tetons were in view right away...




There was a roaring waterfall and wide rushing creek as I left the LSR Preserve.









The trails were narrow, dirt, winding and rocky. If you don't watch your step, it would be easy to take a tumble.. I walked through sage flats, shaded woods, pine forests and huckleberry fields that bears love!






I crossed a number of creeks and foot bridges along the way:




The water was crystal clear everywhere, probably coming from melting snow on the mountains.

























About 1.5 miles into the hike, I reached the glacially carved lake. As always, the views were ever-changing and spectacular as I proceeded around it. There was a fairly steep climb at the north end, with the elevation rising to 6786 feet.The lake has a surface area of 750 miles and is the 6th largest in the park. Albright Peak and Prospector Mountain are the prominent mountains looming over the lake in the distance.









This is probably my favorite picture of the day...




Spruce, fir and lodge pole pines were everywhere. I passed a few small groups of hikers and a couple of guys trout fishing but mostly had the trail to myself for 2 hours!

























Along the way, I saw LOTS of beautiful wildflowers:

 


























I finally got to see some wildlife too! A handsome pair of mule deer, right off the trail... I can't believe how close I got. They barely moved when they saw me.

 





















A little brown snake slithered across the trail in front of me, and then I came across a Yellow-bellied Marmot eating grass right off the trail. They're kind of like giant squirrels:


I finished my hike, hopped back on my mountain bike for the 3 mile ride back to the ranch over pot-holed dirt roads, and then, with a dead phone/camera battery, I spotted my first large moose, right by the roadside! Figures. I sped by since they're a bit aggressive during calving season, but it was still cool to see. A great workout and adventure in Grand Teton National park!

No comments:

Post a Comment